Sunday 28 September 2008

Not all photos have to be masterpieces


Some thing I have been thinking about recently is what makes a good photo. Is it one that is technically perfect, well composed, perfectly focused, interesting subject matter, or is it one that makes you remember the day. When I first got serious about taking photos I used to smugly think that my parents were hopeless at taking photos and my photos were so much better. But I was wrong. For two years I took beautiful portrait style photos of my kids and lovely landscape photos of the places we visited, but never anything connecting the two. My kids aren't going to remember that that lovely close up portrait was taken on a walk to Shelley Beach, that it was a beautiful summer afternoon. I have realised that these sort of photos definitely have there place and I do like to strive to take better photos, but the photos that my kids are going to love when they are older are the ones like this one. Yes its blurry and grainy, but I hope it reminds then of the day when they washed the car all by themselves just so that they could have a water fight afterwards.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I realised this Patti after poring over backgrounds of old photos, at old tupperware canisters of my mothers ,and the bike by the shed, and other stuff which memories are made of but not wonderfully artistic shots.

summerbl4ck said...

deep thoughts to go along with your great pictures. it's impt to remember this too. thx!